There have always been two sides to Passenger: the epic, radio-friendly sound represented Let Her Go, and Young as the Morning Old as the Sea, and the more introverted, singer-songwriter side heard on, for instance, Whispers II (2015) and The Boy Who Cried Wolf (2017). Runaway finds Passenger embracing the epic once again: the melodies are unforgettable, the choruses colossal. The album, Rosenberg's 10th in 11 years, was recorded between the UK and Australia with his co-producer, Chris Vallejo, but its aesthetic is North American.
"My dad is American," Rosenberg explains, "and we used to go over every other summer when we were kids. I always loved it. I guess I was seduced by it a little bit. It was such a culture shock coming from England." Sonically, too, Runaway draws on Americana, for instance the early work of Ryan Adams. There is some lap steel, some mandolin, and a little banjo, all courtesy of guitarist Benjamin Edgar. Rosenberg is also joined on the album by bassist Rob Calder, drummer Peter Marin and keyboard player Jon Hansen.
This deluxe edition includes a bonus disc featuring 10 songs recorded live at various dates across the USA.
1. Hell Or High Water
2. Why Can't I Change
3. Heart To Love
4. Let's Go
5. Eagle Bear Buffalo
6. Ghost Town
8. He Leaves You Cold
9. To Be Free
1. Survivor [Live from Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park, OR]
2. To Be Free [Live from Dauphin Rd, Vineland, NJ]
3. Eagle Bear Buffalo [Live from Canaan Mountain Wilderness Area, UT]
4. Runaway [Live from Joshua Tree National Park, CA]
5. Ghost Town [Live from Michigan Theatre, Detroit, MI]
6. He Leaves You Cold [Live from Unityville, PA]
7. Let's Go [Live from Trough Rd State Bridge, CO]
8. Heart To Love [Live from a rooftop in Manhattan, NY]
9. Why Can't I Change [Live from Tahkenitch Landing Campground, Gardiner, OR]
10. Hell Or High Water [Live from Santa Monica Beach, Los Angeles, CA]